Re: DuplicateHandle(in) failed (e=6)

From: Jeffrey Walton
Subject: Re: DuplicateHandle(in) failed (e=6)
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 19:45:24 -0500

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 7:31 PM, Lynn Lin <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi all
> I meet a very strange issue. I use gmake 3.81 on windows 2003 and have a perl
> script to call gmake.The script is working fine if I open dos command and run
> this script.
> However if I use third party tool(Jenkins ,continuous integration tool),it
> report the following error
> make: create_child_process DuplicateHandle(In) failed (e=6)
That would be ERROR_INVALID_HANDLE
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms681382%28v=vs.85%29.aspx).

The third party tool is probably attempting to use an invalid handle.
Most likely, the handle was valid but is now closed (or is set to
INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE). Note well (N.B.): INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE is
different than NULL, and its easy to mix the two up. For example, some
functions return NULL on failure, others return INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE.
It depends on the context/object, and you have to pay attention to
details on the Win32 call.

Jeff