Re: Making Progress

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Making Progress
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 22:56:29 -0500

On Fri, 2011-12-30 at 16:23 +0000, James, Brian wrote:
> So I got over that error and ran through the compile piece of it.
> When I try to 'make'.  I get a syntax error:

> address@hidden octave-3.4.3]# make

First, you should never build software while logged in as root.  Very
dangerous.

Second, this list is for problems with the GNU make program itself: your
issue here is that the Octave source code is not working as expected.
There's no issue with GNU make here: the makefiles contained in the
Octave package, or the configure script, or something, are not working.

You'll need to contact the Octave developers (most likely they have some
sort of help mailing list) and ask them about these problems.

Good luck!