Re: please help me

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: please help me
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 15:30:19 -0500

On Sun, 2011-12-18 at 13:16 +0000, Khadigeh Beiranvand wrote:

> Hi
> When I typping make clean in terminal,The following message is
> issued:address@hidden:~/ptsgcodes/xpdp1/src$ make clean
> rm: cannot remove `*~': No such file or directory
> make: *** [clean] Error 1
> my makefile is:

> clean:
>                 @rm *.o *~

I'm not sure where the confusion is.

You asked make to run a command "rm *.o *~".  Make ran that command.
The command failed with the error message you see above, and make
reported that failure.

What's to "solve"?

This is the way the rm command in UNIX behaves: if the file that you
asked it to remove doesn't exist you get an error.  If you don't want
that behavior you can add the "-f" (force) flag to rm: see the man page
for rm.

Alternatively you could have make ignore the failure (although the error
message from "rm" would still be printed in this case) by prefixing the
rule with the "-" token: see the GNU make manual.