how to identify the prerequisite causing the build?

From: Martin d'Anjou
Subject: how to identify the prerequisite causing the build?
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 00:28:29 -0500

Hi,

I run make with -d, but there are thousands and thousands of lines... I am not expecting a re-build, but make thinks a rebuilt is in order. The problem is that I cannot find why make thinks this is the right thing to do. Based on what make wants to build, no prerequisite is missing, but how do I get make to tell me exactly the chain of prerequisites that causes the rebuild?

I do not find a "File does not exist" message, or a missing prerequisite, all I see is "Prerequisite is older than target". What should I look for?

Thanks,
Martin