Need help regards the built-in rules.

From: Nallam Trinadh
Subject: Need help regards the built-in rules.
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 13:11:41 +0530

Hi Folks,

Yesterday i ran into a strange problem.

I have the following source structure:

source/
source/newModule/
source/rules/

we are using the Imakefile mechanism and all the template files are in
"source/rules".

I have two sources in the above format.

source1/
source1/newModule
source1/rules

source2/
source2/newModule
source2/rules

When i do make in source2/newModule i got the following error:

stop in Makefile. no rule to make target "
/data1/users/nfr1dev4/pvcs/cmscom_ba_gcc/cms/source/tools/rules/Imake.tmpl
"

But the same is working fine when i do it from source1.
I have checked all the files in all folders and both are same.

I have attached here the output when i ran "make -d " from both sources.

SOURCE1:
===========
    No implicit rule found for
`/data1/users/nfr1dev4/pvcs/cmscom_ba_gcc/cms/source/tools/rules/Imake.tmpl'.
    Finished prerequisites of target file
`/data1/users/nfr1dev4/pvcs/cmscom_ba_gcc/cms/source/tools/rules/Imake.tmpl'.
   Must remake target
`/data1/users/nfr1dev4/pvcs/cmscom_ba_gcc/cms/source/tools/rules/Imake.tmpl'.
   No rule to make target
`/data1/users/nfr1dev4/pvcs/cmscom_ba_gcc/cms/source/tools/rules/Imake.tmpl'
   *** stop in Makefile

SOURCE2:
===========
      Trying implicit prerequisite
`/data1/users/nfr1dev4/pvcs/cmscom_ba_gcc/cms/source/tools/rules/SCCS/s.Imake.tmpl.csrc'.
    No implicit rule found for
`/data1/users/nfr1dev4/pvcs/cmscom_ba_gcc/cms/source/tools/rules/Imake.tmpl'.
    Finished prerequisites of target file
`/data1/users/nfr1dev4/pvcs/cmscom_ba_gcc/cms/source/tools/rules/Imake.tmpl'.
   No need to remake target
`/data1/users/nfr1dev4/pvcs/cmscom_ba_gcc/cms/source/tools/rules/Imake.tmpl'.
   Considering target file
`/data1/users/nfr1dev4/pvcs/cmscom_ba_gcc/cms/source/tools/rules/Tool.rules

In the case of SOURCE1, we have "Must remake target" for file,Imake.tmpl,
whereas in case of SOURCE2 we have "No need to remake target".

Could you tell me based on which flags/rules will this (Must
remake...or...No need to remake) be decided?

I am using   RHEL 5.4  and make version is  GNU Make 3.81.

Note:
- Imake.tmpl is a template file based on which the Makefile(s) will be
generated using Imakefile.
-  Each folder has it's own Imakefile.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,
Nallam Trinadh

Senior Software Engineer | IBS Software Services (P) Ltd.
NILA | 5th Floor | Technopark | Trivandrum,
Kerala | Pin- 695581 | INDIA.
www.ibsplc.com

DISCLAIMER:   "The information in this e-mail and any attachment is intended
only for the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or
privileged material. If you have received this e-mail in error, kindly contact
the sender and destroy all copies of the original communication. IBS makes no
warranty, express or implied, nor guarantees the accuracy, adequacy or
completeness of the information contained in this email or any attachment and
is not liable for any errors, defects, omissions, viruses or for resultant loss
or damage, if any, direct or indirect."