RE: updating target at the end of recipe, after updating prerequisites,

From: Mark Galeck (CW)
Subject: RE: updating target at the end of recipe, after updating prerequisites, might not work?
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 23:21:12 -0800

>Of course.  Setting and storing the mod time on a file is up to the
filesystem.  Some filesystems support timestamps with granularity of 1

Yes Paul, but that is not my main problem.  My main problem is that, on a
single filesystem that supports sub-second timestamps, some utilities make use
of sub-second timestamps, and some don't.  If a utility that supports them is
used in prerequisite recipes, and a utility that rounds to the nearest second,
happens to be used in the target recipe, but a utility that supports sub-second
timestamp is used in recipes for that target's prerequisites,  you see we have
a problem!  Next rebuild may well think prerequisites are newer than the
target, and will rebuild unnecessarily.

How do you propose to deal with that?  Am I the first one that has this
problem?  I can't believe that...