Re: how to make symbolic links?

From: Philip Guenther
Subject: Re: how to make symbolic links?
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 23:17:00 -0700

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 10:58 PM, Mark Galeck (CW) <address@hidden> wrote:
>>If you don't understand the comment in that rule, then you need to go
> find a plain old book about UNIX that talks about symlinks and read
> it.
>
> Philip, I understand and appreciate the enormous service you and Paul and
> other gurus here are providing to the GNU make user community.  That is why,
> be assured, that before I post here, I try and RTFM and educate myself, so as
> to not look silly and not waste your valuable time.   In this case, I
> carefully read the documentation for both ln and relevant parts of GNU Make
> manual, and I experimented as much as could.  I could still be wrong, as I am
> a rather absent-minded person, but I always do my homework as best I can.

What I was trying to say in that last paragraph was that, at their
core, your issues in this case are not with 'make' but rather with
UNIX, and that an information source specific to UNIX may be more
effective than a forum targeted around support for 'make'.  My
apologies if I came off as sounding like I was accusing you of doing
no research or ground work.

Symlinks, particularly relative symlinks, are weird in UNIX and a
general wart on the design that has never been fully smoothed over,
with special handling required by many systems calls and programs.

Philip Guenther