RE: please clarify the manual on foreach function?

From: Mark Galeck (CW)
Subject: RE: please clarify the manual on foreach function?
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 14:40:09 -0800

>Well, I think you misunderstand what -j does.  All it does is allow make
to have multiple jobs (that is, sub-programs) active at the same time.

OK, thank you Paul for your answers.  I "think" I understand what is meant by
multiple-jobs: multiple targets updated.

But my particular problem was during the "first pass" of make, where no targets
are updated yet.  During that time, I invoke "foreach" and from your first
answer, it follows that it concatenates in order.  Are you also saying, that
the first pass of make, is always serial, period?