Re: recipe!!

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: recipe!!
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 13:24:39 -0400

On Tue, 2010-09-07 at 17:09 +0200, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 10:25:05AM +0430, ali hagigat wrote:
> > I wonder why the word 'command' changed with 'recipe' in the make
> > manual!! Command was a better word and inspired the real function of
> > the shell commands for a rule.
>
> I wonder what manual you refer too.

This change in terminology was made between the manual released with
3.81 and the manual released with 3.82; that's the "change" Ali is
referring to.

As Sam says, "command" is far too generic a term.  Is a command one
operation?  Is it one logical line that is passed to the shell?  Is it
the entire set of operations used to create a target?  We were having to
write long explanations of exactly what we meant by "command", and other
manual readers requested that we use more clearly defined terms.

This change was discussed on make mailing lists and various options were
considered, and "recipe" ended up being the term chosen.