Re: How to change certain rules such that they will not executed as long

From: couling
Subject: Re: How to change certain rules such that they will not executed as long as the target is available?
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 11:54:07 -0700 (PDT)

I Think what you're looking for is
http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html#index-order_002donly-prerequisites-155
order-only-prerequisites .  These act just like normal prerequisites except
that they will ignore the date.

To use them just put a pipe (|) after the normal prerequisites (there don't
have to be any) and everything that follows will be treated as an
order-only-prerequisite.

item : prereq | order-only-prereq
        command

Hope this helps.