Question function "call" and "%"

From: RusMor
Subject: Question function "call" and "%"
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 09:58:44 -0700 (PDT)

(Make version etc. below)

  Dear reader,

  I think I have an interesting problem, demonstrated below in a minimal
setup:

blaat:
blaat.blaat:

TEST = $(1).$(1)

test/%: $(call TEST,%)
        @echo "Args = $^"

print/%: %
        @echo $(call TEST,$<)

  Ultimately my question is why I get the output below if enter the
following on the command line:

address@hidden:~/scratch> make print/blaat
blaat.blaat
address@hidden:~/scratch> make test/blaat
make: *** No rule to make target `test/blaat'.  Stop.

  I do not understand why the call to the TEST function (in the test/% rule)
with parameter "%" does not do the same as the call (in the print/% rule) to
the same function with parameter "$<", which is derived from "%" ??

  My follow-up question would be how to achieve the same output for both
rules?

  Many thanks for your reaction!!

Ytsen.

address@hidden:~/scratch> make -v
GNU Make 3.81
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

This program built for x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
address@hidden:~/scratch> uname -a
Linux moniac 2.6.31.8-0.1-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT 2009-12-15 23:55:40 +0100
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
address@hidden:~/scratch>