Re: handling two types of prerequisites differently in pattern rule

From: Todd Showalter
Subject: Re: handling two types of prerequisites differently in pattern rule
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 07:50:36 -0500

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 8:38 PM, Galen Seitz <address@hidden> wrote:

> I would like to list both the object files and linker script as
> prerequisites to linker pattern rule.  However the linker script needs to
> appear as an argument to a linker option.  I'm having trouble coming up with
> a clean way to handle this.  Here is what I've come up with.

    In this situation, I generally do:

%$(ABS) : $(LD_SCRIPT) $(OBJS)
-       $(CC) $(LDFLAGS) $(TARGET_ARCH) $(filter-out %.x,$^) \
+       $(CC) $(LDFLAGS) $(TARGET_ARCH) $(OBJS) \
         $(LOADLIBES) $(LDLIBS) -o $@

    Rationale: if you later have additional dependencies, they'll also
have to be filtered out, and anything that goes into that part of the
command line for the link is going to belong in $(OBJS) anyways.

                                                   Todd.

--
 Todd Showalter, President,
 Electron Jump Games, Inc.