Re: How to deal with a target in the dependence chain that is deleted af

From: Peng Yu
Subject: Re: How to deal with a target in the dependence chain that is deleted after the command execution?
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 22:13:45 -0600

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 9:53 PM, Philip Guenther <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 6:59 PM, Peng Yu <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I have the following two files. Whenever I call 'make', 'gzip' will be
>> called again. I'm wondering what is the correct way to write the
>> makefile such that gzip will not be called as long as test.txt.gz is
>> newer than test.sh.
> <...>
>
> The GNU make info pages describe how this can be done.  In order to
> help improve the documentation, can you confirm whether you first
> checked the info pages for help and if so, whether there were any
> pages that seemed close to what you were looking for?

I can not easily find that I need to use either .INTERMEDIATE or
.SECONDARY from the table of content below.

However, when I type 'gnu make dele' in google, it pops up 'gnu make
delete intermediate'. If I search by this term, it points me to the
section on .INTERMEDIATE or .SECONDARY, which is helpful.

http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html