Re: New To makefiles and Intel Compilers

From: Garrett Cooper
Subject: Re: New To makefiles and Intel Compilers
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 20:26:07 -0800

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 1:54 PM, Jason Todd Slack-Moehrle
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am new to MakeFiles and also to the Intel C++ Compilers. I own v11
> Compilers for OS X, Win3 and Linux.
>
> Currently I am using Xcode, Visual Studio and Kdevelop, respectively. I want
> to move away from a specific IDE and just use MakeFiles and a text editor. I
> tend to be more productive this way and it works for me in developing
> cross-platforms apps.
>
> With all of this, I have very little experience with using MakeFiles and I
> was hoping someone might have advice and more specifically how to tell the
> MakeFile to use my Intel Compilers.
>
> Any Advice?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Jason

2 main methods of doing this:

    CC := $(shell which icc) # Pick up the first Intel compiler, and
provide the exact path.
    CC := icc # Pick up the first Intel compiler in my path.

    Or...

    make CC=icc all

    ... etc.

    See http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html#Implicit-Variables