Compiling dependent source files

From: prickly
Subject: Compiling dependent source files
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 02:11:41 -0700 (PDT)

I want to construct a makefile that preforms a test on all .h files that are
#included by the main source file (One can obtain a list of these by using
the -M flag with g++). This "test" would be designed to try to locate (and
compile) any .cpp files in the same directory as, and who share a base-name
with, the #included .h file.

The point of this is so that any time I add a new header/source file pair to
my project, all I have to do to use it is #include the header somewhere in
my code. The appropriate source file will get compiled and (ideally) linked
automatically without me ever having to explicitly mention it - effectively
meaning that I won't have to touch the makefile (almost) ever again.

Any thoughts?