how to make "gmake" recompile the files based on their dependencies' mod

From: parth
Subject: how to make "gmake" recompile the files based on their dependencies' modified time
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 23:00:55 -0700 (PDT)

Hello guys,

I have create a simple makefile as below.

But Whenever i execute make command, it doesn't check if any of the files
have modified time greater that the object file's creation time and just
recompiles the all target.
I have to do make clean everytime I want the Maze.cc to recompile

PROGRAM = Astar
DEPENDENCIES = Maze.o Maze.h

all: $(DEPENDENCIES) $(PROGRAM).cc
        g++ Maze.o Astar.cc -o $(PROGRAM)

%.o : %.cc %.h
        g++ -c $<

clean:
        rm *.o $(PROGRAM)

Can anyone tell me where am I making a mistake?

regards,
parth