RE: Re: RE: how to output newlines?

From: Dave Korn
Subject: RE: Re: RE: how to output newlines?
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 10:41:32 +0100

PRC wrote on 31 July 2008 02:37:

> But it seems that info does not work in some version of make.
>
> There is nothing output after I run the following makefile script:
> --------------------------------
> $(info Hello, Make)
> all:
> --------------------------------
>
> $make -v shows
> GNU Make 3.80
> Copyright (C) 2002  Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
> There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
> PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
>
> Is this version too old for $(info)?

  Although Paul has already answered for you, I'll show you how to find out
in the general case whether a version of make has a function in it or not:
use the --warn-undefined-variables flag, because if make doesn't recognise a
$(function) name, it'll assume you just mean an ordinary variable:

address@hidden make]$ cat makefile

# This function does exist
$(info Hello, Make)

# This function does not exist
$(unfo Goodbye, Make)

all:

address@hidden make]$ make
Hello, Make
make: `all' is up to date.
address@hidden make]$ make --warn-undefined-variables
Hello, Make
makefile:6: warning: undefined variable `unfo Goodbye, Make'
make: `all' is up to date.
address@hidden make]$

    cheers,
      DaveK