Re: clean recursively into sub-directories

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: clean recursively into sub-directories
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 11:52:25 -0600

>>>>> "John" == John Calcote <address@hidden> writes:

John> Hmmm, I guess Automake's been doing it wrong all these years...

Automake's output is runnable on pretty restricted versions of make --
not just GNU make.  Sometimes that entails sacrifices like this.
Also, in this particular case, Automake's SUBDIRS feature has been
documented for years as running the subdir builds in order.

In general I would say, avoid subdirs if you can, even with Automake.

And, if you can't, and you don't mind a GNU make dependency, then use
that instead.

Tom