building from cvs

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: building from cvs
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 08:44:58 -0600

I checked out make from cvs today, to see if that version does fix a
bug we ran into with gcc.  I couldn't easily build make, because the
'make update' target does not work -- it fails while downloading from
translationproject.org.  In the end I hacked around this, but I
thought you'd want to know.  Here's some of the output:

tmppo="/tmp/po-make-3.81.90.$$" \
          && rm -rf "$tmppo" \
          && mkdir "$tmppo" \
          && (cd "$tmppo" \
                && wget --passive-ftp -nv -r -l1 -nd --no-parent -A '*.po'
http://translationproject.org/maint/make) \
          && cp "$tmppo"/*.po po && rm -rf "$tmppo"
http://translationproject.org/maint/make:
08:43:29 ERROR 404: Not Found.

The bug we ran into, btw, appears to be #3330, aka #15919.  The gcc
report is here:

FWIW the cvs make does work.

I'm pretty frustrated -- this patch series for gcc has been an
enormous pain, and then at the end it is sunk by a known-and-fixed
make bug.  Bleah.

Tom