Re: MAKEFLAGS var does not show "-j" param ???

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: MAKEFLAGS var does not show "-j" param ???
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 10:35:25 -0400

On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 15:26 +0100, Fabrice GIRARDOT wrote:
> It seems that the MAKEFLAGS variable does not always
> show the "-j" option given to make on its command line.

> I'm using GNU make 3.81 built for Win32.

As far as I recall, parallel make is not supported on MS Windows
systems.  You should ask on the address@hidden mailing list for more
explicit details: those folks know much more about the MS Windows port
of GNU make.

> C:\some_dir> make -j8
> MAKEFLAGS=
> MAKEFLAGS_in_cmd=j 1
> This is command for all

This is because the MS Windows port doesn't support parallel jobs.  So,
it explicitly sets the -j flag argument to 1.

> And also a test on Ubuntu 7.10 :
> $ make -j8
> MAKEFLAGS=
> MAKEFLAGS_in_cmd= --jobserver-fds=3,4 -j
> This is command for all

This is the expected result on a system that does support parallel jobs
via the jobserver.  The special --jobserver-fds option is an
internal-only option that parent makes pass to child makes so they can
participate in the jobserver.  For details on the jobserver see my site
below.

For a bit more info see this other recent thread:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-make/2008-01/msg00087.html

 Paul D. Smith <address@hidden>                 http://make.mad-scientist.us
 "Please remain calm--I may be mad, but I am a professional."--Mad Scientist