RE: override and +=

From: Dave Korn
Subject: RE: override and +=
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 10:54:54 -0000

On 20 February 2008 04:48, Paul Smith wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 19:12 -0800, Michael Morrell wrote:
>>> Well, the GNU make manual section on "override" explicitly states that
>>> to use += with an override variable, you have to declare the += override
>>> as well.
>>
>> Really.  I can't find such a statement.  [...]  It also says: "To
>> append more text to a variable defined on the command line, use:
>> override variable += more text" (again, that doesn't apply to my
>> example).
>
> You're right; that was a careless reading on my part.  This should be
> made clearer.  For example it might say "to append more text to a
> variable defined as an override, use: ..."
>
> Probably another paragraph or two are warranted here.

  Does this happen because, when you use override, you're effectively changing
the original value that was inherited from the environment, so when it comes
to the plain assignment, make still thinks the (new) value $(origin)ated from
the environment and that it shouldn't be altered without an override (again)?

    cheers,
      DaveK