Re: Bug or correct behavior?

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Bug or correct behavior?
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 16:31:56 -0500

On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 13:22 -0800, Derek Clegg wrote:
> I responded to Mike Shal in a similar vein.  If you're correct,
> changing the order of the "dir/%.c:" lines would change the behavior,
> but it doesn't appear to.

Mike's comment is right on the money: this:

        dir/%.c : foo.h

does NOT declare a pattern rule.  It _deletes_ a pattern rule; check the
GNU make manual: pattern rules with no commands delete that rule.

If you wrote it like this:

        dir/%.c : foo.h ; @echo do something

and put it before the other rule (and if foo.h existed or could be
created... remember the manual says "first _applicable_ rule" and a rule
with a prerequisite that make doesn't know how to build is not
applicable) then you'd get "do something" as output.

If you don't, then THAT'S a bug.

Cheers!

 Paul D. Smith <address@hidden>                 http://make.mad-scientist.us
 "Please remain calm--I may be mad, but I am a professional."--Mad Scientist