Envrionment Variable Problems

From: wdouglass
Subject: Envrionment Variable Problems
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 09:21:18 -0800 (PST)

Defined in the make system i am working with is the following environment
variable:

ALL_CFLAGS = -mmcu=$(MCU) -I. $(CFLAGS) $(GENDEPFLAGS)

Under certain conditions (specifically relative addressing of .c files that
aren't in the same directory as the makefile), Make drops the first part of
this variable, leaving me with just $(CFLAGS) and $(GENDEPFLAGS), and my
compile fails because it doesn't get -mmcu. Has anyone run into a problem
like this? if not, does any know any general way of debugging a complex
makefile system? the best i've got is attempting to trace through using
'make -n' which is tedious and not very helpful.

Thanks in advance for your help.