Make 3.81...Bits and Pieces

From: NormW
Subject: Make 3.81...Bits and Pieces
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 08:34:36 +1100

Greetings All from AU.
A newbie to the list, so excuse the three questions below if they are covered in days past.

1. Does the test scripts sub-system included in the source specifically exclude support for the Windows platform (than via CygWin or MingW), or is this just a 'by-product' of the way they were written?

I tweaked run_make_tests.pl and test_driver.pl to run native in Win2K using ActivePerl, only to find there were more OS-dependant pieces in some of the test scripts. Is there any point in persisting?

2. The test system creates a 'comments.mk', and while getting that to work found either a bug or feature Make 3.81;
If I use 'make -f work\features\comments.mk' then Make produces:
make: `target' is up to date.

If I cd to the work\features dir and try 'make -f comments.mk':
There should be no errors for this makefile.

which is the reply the comments test script is expecting. I can think of no logical reason why the result would be different just by changing the path to the make file. For the curious, 'comments.mk' has:
# Test comment vs semicolon parsing and line continuation
target: # this ; is just a comment \
@echo This is within a comment. @echo There should be no errors for this makefile.

I've confirmed this with GnuMake 3.81 on Win2K and SuSe 10.3.

3. I wrote a replacement 'build_w32.bat' that shrunk from 22.2k to 8.7k and supports normal,debug and clean options for both MingW and MSVC (and is based buld_w32.bat in CVS):
build_w32            Builds MSVC version without debug symbols.
build_w32 debug      Builds MSVC version with    debug symbols.
build_w32 clean      Removes MSVC created output files.
build_w32 gcc        Builds GCC  version without debug symbols.
build_w32 gcc debug  Builds GGC  version with    debug symbols.
build_w32 gcc clean  Removes GCC  created output files.
This of any use to the project, as it isn't really a patch and only of possible use to Windows builders (Tested using MingW and MSVC6)?

Norm