RE: Order of include and variable expansion

From: Dave Korn
Subject: RE: Order of include and variable expansion
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 13:20:04 -0000

On 10 November 2007 17:52, Paul Millar wrote:

> I've a makefile of medium complexity

> I have a work-around for this, but I was wondering if:
>   a. is this a bug or a known problem?
>
>   b. whether there's anyway of indicating the order in which phase 1
> activity should take place (e.g. do the include first, delay expanding the
> prerequisites, that sort of thing).
>
> I can post the makefile somewhere, if that helps.

  What would really help would be a cut-down trivial testcase, with just
enough in it to show the required dependencies and the autogeneration.  It's
pretty hard to know what's going on without seeing an example, but the first
thing I'd look at in such a testcase would be whether you're running into
problems from the use of ':=' immediate evaluation versus '=' deferred
evaluation.

    cheers,
      DaveK