RE: using make to run binaries

From: Dave Korn
Subject: RE: using make to run binaries
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 21:41:26 +0100

On 17 September 2007 14:20, Andreas Maunz wrote:

> Hi, we use 'make' primarily for compilation of C++ code using g++ under
> Linux.

>  Isn't 'make' suitable for running executables?

  Yes, of course it is suitable, and if you stop and think about it, you
already know it is - what do you suppose all those compilers and assemblers
and linkers it invokes are?  Executables!

  Just to be completely plain about it, make does not secretly add commandline
flags to your invocation, nor tamper with the memory space of your process,
nor run it under strace, nor sneakily sabotage your executable in any way.  It
does of course set lots of environment variables, and sometimes it launches a
program directly rather than via a shell, either of which could conceivably
affect your program's behaviour, but basically there's nothing very unusual
going on when make invokes an executable.

  Of course I did already explain all this once before today.  If there's
something in the earlier posts that needs clarification, please let me know,
but just asking the same question for a second time isn't going to result in a
different answer.

    cheers,
      DaveK