Re: Make, Implicit Rules, and Better Output

From: Stephan Beal
Subject: Re: Make, Implicit Rules, and Better Output
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 00:19:29 +0200

On Monday 02 July 2007, Michael Aaron Safyan wrote:
> While it outputs the above, it should write out the longer --
> somewhat less appealing -- output "g++ -I... " to the log files. If
> any of the steps fail, I would like to see something like the
> following:
>
> Type "make xxx_log" to view log.
> ** Make [2] error

You could solve that with a wrapper script for the compiler/linker. As
arguments it would take command line arguments like:

compile -c foo.cpp -o foo.o
link -o foo foo.o

And in place of 'compile' and 'link' it could call your compiler or
linker, sending the outuput to foo.log and printing "Compiling ..."
or "Linking ..." to stdout.

--
----- stephan beal
http://www.wanderinghorse.net