How does the Dependency Build Graph get build?

From: Jochen
Subject: How does the Dependency Build Graph get build?
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 07:38:12 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I'm working on my thesis and I'm making a buildmachine
that works in combination with Xen.

Software needs to get build. This software is also
depending on other software, that first needs to be
build. Now I want to build a Depency Graph that tells
me what to build first.

I know make does this, but I can't find HOW it does
that.
Can somebody provide me more information about this?