Re: sourcing scripts inside Make

From: Brian Dessent
Subject: Re: sourcing scripts inside Make
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 14:06:03 -0800

Aditya Kher wrote:

> Actually mere executing wont help beacuse that will not set the
> environment variables that I have in .cshrc
> Those variables are used in future targets build (i.e. after foo) by Make

Then you need to rethink how you plan to accomplish this.  It is
impossible for a child process to modify the environment of the
parent.   No matter what you do to the environment of the child shell,
it is discarded when the process exits and can have no effect on the
environment of the parent make process.  You'll need to either set the
environment before invoking make, or find some way to get the settings
in a format that make can interpret itself and then use 'include' or
'eval' or something.

Brian