problem with MAKEFILE_LIST not populating

From: Brett_W_Grant
Subject: problem with MAKEFILE_LIST not populating
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 15:20:59 -0700

I am not a very experienced Make programmer.  Recently I set up what I thought to be a fairly complicated recursive makefile.  One of the constraints put upon me was, "I want to be able to type make at the command line, and it makes the sim."  I did this, but due to the recursive nature of the makefile, it didn't work unless the makefile was named one of the default names.  To allow it to work with the -f flag, I added a line in at the beginning:

   makeName = $(word,1,$(MAKEFILE_LIST))

to get the name of the makefile invoked.  This works great.  We use this makefile on a Xeon cluster, an Opteron cluster, and a Mac osX cluster with no problem.  The issue that I have is with my Sparc cluster.

First off, the sparc cluster is different than the others.  It needs to have the sun development stuff for some other programs, so the gnu stuff is all under g-command, ie, gmake.  Well, I set variables like this all up in an environmental file that is included at the beginning, and it calls the proper versions of g77, gcc, gnat, and so forth.

After getting all this set up, it still wasn't working, and it is because MAKEFILE_LIST isn't being populated.  As a test, I tried:

gmake target MAKEFILE_LIST=GNUmakefile

and it works fine.

Is there another way get the name of the -f option?
Is there a different solution that I haven't thought about?
Is this because I have ver 3.79.1 for sparc-sun-solaris2.8 and ver 3.8 on my other boxes?

I am not subscribed to the list, so please cc me if you respond.

Thanks,
Brett Grant