Re: make can not find .cpp file, any general comments or suggestions to

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: make can not find .cpp file, any general comments or suggestions to debug?
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 09:21:06 -0400

%% Lin George <address@hidden> writes:

  lg> When I make my projects on my Linux desktop, GNU make outputs
  lg> error messages which are dealing with could not find .cpp files. I
  lg> think I have correctly setup VPATH variable to let make locate
  lg> where source files are.

You'll need to provide more info than that if you want help.  At the
VERY least, you need to show the complete and exact error message you
received, along with any useful surrounding output.

  lg> So, any general comments or suggestions to debug the error/root
  lg> cause in this situation? I can not post the Makefile since it is
  lg> too large and platform/application dependent.

You can always create a small makefile that shows the same behavior.

Just be sure it really is the same as the real one; too often people
post "samples" that are really nothing like the original in critical
ways.