Re: question about Generating Prerequisites Automatically

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: question about Generating Prerequisites Automatically
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 09:13:21 -0400

%% Lin George <address@hidden> writes:

  lg> I am reading through GNU make manual about "Generating
  lg> Prerequisites Automatically" topic. I do not quite
  lg> understand what the following statements mean (Section
  lg> 4.14),

  lg> --------------------
  lg> Note that such a prerequisite constitutes mentioning
  lg> main.o in a makefile, so it can never be considered an
  lg> intermediate file by implicit rule search. This means
  lg> that make won't ever remove the file after using it;
  lg> see Chains of Implicit Rules.

  lg> Could anyone show me a simple sample please?

I'm not sure what kind of example one could show.

Read the section of the GNU make manual on intermediate files.

Then note that by putting your .o files into the makefile like this,
you're ensuring that they cannot be intermediate files.