Re: Making needed Directory

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Making needed Directory
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 13:37:10 -0400

%% Jason Lunz <address@hidden> writes:

  jl> address@hidden said:
  >> I prefer to do something like this:
  >>
  >> MKDIRS += foo
  >> MKDIRS += bar
  >>
  >> __dummy := $(shell foreach d in $(MKDIRS); do [ -d $$d ] || mkdir -p $$d;
done)

  >> That is loop is invoked once per invocation of make.

  jl> Is there any reason for the __dummy? I have a Makefile that does:

  jl> $(shell mkdir -p $(OUTDIR))

  jl> and that seems to work fine.

It's a safety feature.  If for some reason the shell script prints
something to stdout then the __dummy will capture it.

Otherwise it'll be interpreted as part of your makefile and most likely
generate a syntax error.

Just a habit, basically.