Re: Trees and forests problem found but on how to solve it.

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Trees and forests problem found but on how to solve it.
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 13:29:49 -0400

%% "PATTON, BILLY \(SBCSI\)" <address@hidden> writes:

  pb> for X in  ;

  pb> Notice at the for X in  is empty.

Yes; that's a syntax error in the shell.  Most Bourne shells require a
word to be there.

  pb> This list does not exist.

  pb> So how can I set this up to see that the list exists?

I don't understand what you're saying the problem is.  What "list exists"?

Is the problem that the variable that should expand to the list of
values does exist and does have content, but that content isn't
appearing in the for loop?

Or is the problem that the above empty loop is correct (there is no
content in the variable) and you don't know how to handle the case where
the variable is empty?