Re: quoting $$ (or something completely different?)

From: Tom Bachmann
Subject: Re: quoting $$ (or something completely different?)
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 10:28:14 +0200

But there is one more thing: doing what you proposed would introduce a completely new style of writing makefiles into my project, and I'd be happy not to do this. I'd be very happy to defer the call to SET instead of doing the assignment earlier. Do you have an idea how to do this?

ther is a more serious problem I did not see, yet: while the example makefile is obviously stupid, a real makefile includes another file between the two assignments, so a more complete definition of foo would be

define FOO
CFLAGS := foo bar baz foo2
include OTHERFILE
$(eval $(call SET,CFLAGS))
endef

now it begins to make sense (to me), as OTHERFILE can make assignments like CFLAGS += -DFOO etc. It would be very annoying to always have to write $(eval ...). What still confuses me is the following: I can write the initial sequence and everything works fine, so how can I just transform it into a "funtion"?
--
-ness-