Re: Recursive dependencies

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Recursive dependencies
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 10:18:38 -0500

%% Rodrigo de Salvo Braz <address@hidden> writes:

  rdsb> Suppose I have a Makefile for project A which calls a recursive
  rdsb> make for project B.

  rdsb> I want to *always* run the Makefile for B, so its dependencies
  rdsb> are checked and B is remade when necessary. This suggests a
  rdsb> phony target for it:

  rdsb> A: B
  rdsb>         <commands for making A>

  rdsb> .PHONY: B
  rdsb> B:
  rdsb>         $(MAKE) -C bdir

  rdsb> But then A is always remade regardless of B having changed or
  rdsb> not.

  rdsb> Could someone please suggest a solution to this problem? Please
  rdsb> note I am not subscribed to the list, so please cc me.

If you're running a sufficiently new version of GNU make you can use
order-only prerequisites for this.

See the GNU make manual for full details.

Cheers!