Pattern Rules

From: PATTON, BILLY \(SBCSI\)
Subject: Pattern Rules
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 15:30:43 -0600

I've been looking at the manual about pattern rules.  In an earlier
message I stated that I was building 72k + targets.  Paul suggested that
I look at Pattern rules.

Here's the problem I have now that I'm trying to correct.
EX:
CFLAGS := -Ddogs -Dcats ...

Has over 25 unique definitions spread over 1k+ makefiles.  The c code
will be compiled differently from directory to directory.

My current thought is to do something like
define cflags1
$(1) : $(2)
 $(CC) -Ddogs -Dcats ...
endef

Now what Paul suggested I look at was the pattern rules.
%.o : %.c

Bu these are wild card patterns for all .c.  This I cannot have.

Is it possible to associate a patter rule with a particular list

LIST_1 := a.c b.c d.c ...

$(LIST_1) : $(LIB)(%.o) : %.c
  $(CC) -Ddogs -Dcats ...

Or is it
$(LIB)(%.o) : $(LIST_1)

Main point, I cannot associate all .c files to one pattern rule.
I have some 400 + directories that may contain c/cpp/cobol

If I can associate a single pattern rule with a particular list that
would be great.
Unless I can do it I'll be generating

$(LIB)(dogs.o) : dogs.c
  blablabla