one makes many

From: Chris Chiasson
Subject: one makes many
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 03:13:08 -0600

Dear help-make,

How can I express a relationship in make that says "any one of 'these
files' can be made with 'command', but 'command' makes all of 'these
files' at once, so if you execute this rule, you don't need to run it
again"?

Background:

The typical "one dependancy with many targets" rule looks like:

target1 target2 etc : dep
        command to generate all targets

but if this command is executed for even one target, all of them are
made (and I can't change that).

What I am doing right now is equivalent to:
falsetarget : dep
        command to generate all targets
        touch falsetarget

Thanks,