Re: Handling make errors

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Handling make errors
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 15:10:25 -0500

%% Rani Pinchuk <address@hidden> writes:

  rp> It is very simple to add a sound when the built is successful - by
  rp> adding play command in the end of the building block.

You can easily add a sound when the build fails using the same methods.
Just as with all UNIX commands, make will exit with a success code (0)
when it works, and an error code (non-0) when it fails.

All you have to do is wrap make in a script that checks for this and
plays the proper sound.

  rp> But I could not find anywhere a way to handle make errors. I have
  rp> looked in the manual of Make and in the mailing list archive and
  rp> could not find how to do this. Obviously I can wrap make with
  rp> whatever other application to catch those errors, but I would
  rp> imagine there is a way to handle make errors within make.

There's no way to handle errors from within make.  Only by checking the
exit code can you deal with errors.