Re: looking for help with auto creating rules with eval hierarchically

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: looking for help with auto creating rules with eval hierarchically
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 08:48:14 -0500

%% "PATTON, BILLY \(SBCSI\)" <address@hidden> writes:

  pb> My first best try
  pb> $foreach proj,${PROJECTS},

Please be careful with your syntax.

  pb> Will give me the list names
  pb> $(addprefix BB_,${PROJECTS})

  pb> So would it be something like
  pb> $(foreach proj,${PROJECTS}  # to capture project name
  pb>   , $(foreach bb, $(addprefix BB_,${proj})) # name of list BB_<proj>
  pb>   , $(eval $(call dummy_template, ${bb}))  # call define
  pb>  ) # foreach

You've got some syntax errors here.

Why don't you just try it out?

  pb> If this works. Can I put comments as I have above.  If I don't
  pb> document this VERY well, I'll neveru figure it out 6 months from
  pb> now.

You will have to use backslashes to continue the lines if you want to
put newlines in your script (this isn't C: makefiles are line-oriented).

So no, you cannot embed comments into the middle like that.  You'll
have to use a block comment before the loop to describe what it does.