RE: What is wrong with this

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: RE: What is wrong with this
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 16:17:14 -0500

%% "CARTER-HITCHIN, David, FM" <address@hidden> writes:

  cdf>> ${EXEC_LOG} $(CP) ${MAKEINC_DIR}/make.include.$(1).$(2)

  cdf> Don't you need a \ here too?

I read that as if it were just one line, but Billy's mail client
"helpfully" broke it up into parts.

Billy: when asking technical questions like this and cutting/pasting
code into email, it's really important to set your mail client to a
"verbatim" mode where it doesn't try to wrap the code or split long
lines or anything like that.  It's almost impossible to provide accurate
assistance if we can't figure out what the code really said, and
whitespace can be a critical part of that.

If you can't figure out how to configure your mail client in that way,
well... it might be time for a new mail client :-).