Re: "No targets" message with pattern rule

From: Nick Patavalis
Subject: Re: "No targets" message with pattern rule
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 21:54:06 +0200

On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 08:43:42PM +0100, August Karlstrom wrote:
> Can anyone tell me why I get a "no targets" message from make in the
> following example?

[...]

> %.suffix2: %.suffix1
>         cp $< $@

Well, you get no targets because you have specified *no targets*! You
never indicated to Make *what* you want to build. If you say:

   $ make test1.suffix2

it will work. In the makefile you simply indicated that: "If you need
a .suffix2 file, then you can make it from the corresponding .suffix1
file like this". But you never said what you want to make.

/npat

--
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that
the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if