Re: Math and GMake

From: Ken Smith
Subject: Re: Math and GMake
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:00:54 -0400

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 01:27:07PM -0400, Noel Yap wrote:
> Ken Smith wrote:
>
> >I'm basically pushing on gmake to see how far it can go so I can design
> >a generalized framework that can work within a particular environment.
> >I am willing to use external code and very well may offload some of this
> >sort of processing to scripts.  I am interested in using gmake
> >primitives alone inasmuch is possible to keep the framework managable.
>
> I can completely understand this goal, but since gmake is foremost a text
> processing tool, I wouldn't hold out too much hope for this (that is,
> possibly, until GUILE is supported ;-)

I actually came up with a fairly exciting idea over the weekend.  Here's
the basic idea.

Fork a perl script which opens a domain socket.  Put the domain socket
in the build directory somewhere.

Write RPC style requests to the domain socket and have the perl script
feed back answers through the same channel.

This works with the text processing angle because gmake only cares about
text.  It also works with the performance angle because you are only
forking once.  From then on, you're basically just writing and reading a
file (the domain socket).

What do you think?

Ken