RE: Breaking out of a foreach loop

From: Bhatt, Milan C
Subject: RE: Breaking out of a foreach loop
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 17:44:23 -0800

I want to be able to loop through a set of optional prerequisites and
search for these files through a list of directories.

This would seem like the perfect usage model for VPATH, but since the
files are optional, I can't statically set them as prereqs in the
Makefile.

I was thinking something like this:

$(foreach file,$(FILES),
    $(foreach dir,$(DIRS),
        $(if $(wildcard $(dir)/$(file)), $(dir)/$(file);
<break_to_next_file>)))

I'd like to have the break function so that in case the optional file is
located in more than one directory, it would only return the first one.
I suppose I could use the $(firstword) functionality or something like
it to filter out the duplicate files, but I'm trying to find a clean
one-pass approach first.

Hope this makes sense...

Thanks!
Milan