Re: multiple wildcards in a static pattern rule

From: Noel Yap
Subject: Re: multiple wildcards in a static pattern rule
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 18:37:53 -0500

"Paul D. Smith" wrote:
> So, actually, for simple commands like this:
>
>   >> $(ROOT)etc/dir1/%: $(ROOT)etc/dir1/%: %
>   >>        cp $< $@
>   >>        chmod 644 $@
>
> it will be faster to do it this way since GNU make will fork/exec the
> two commands directly rather than invoking a shell to do it.

Hey, that's cool!  How does it handle the situation if the 'cp' fails?

Also, I'm not sure what you meant by "shell metacharacters".  Does "&&" qualify
as "shell metacharacters"?

Thanks,
Noel
--
NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender.  Sender does
not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.