Re: Feature request: output idea

From: Mike Gibson
Subject: Re: Feature request: output idea
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 10:20:36 -0600

On Thursday 28 August 2003 09:56 am, Paul D. Smith wrote:
> As I pointed out in an email yesterday, there is no way to compute the
> percent complete.  In order to do that, you have to know the total
> number of targets that you will build (or at least that could possibly
> be built).
>
> Make knows _NONE_ of that until after it's already completed all the
> builds.

That pretty much puts an end to that idea.  But, I don't remember seeing an
email about this.  Are you sure that you sent it to the list?

> Certainly it's not worth it to change that fundamental aspect of GNU
> make and rewrite it virtually completely internally, just for a bit of
> what is really simply eye candy.  IMO, anyway.

While I agree that rewriting much of GNU make simply to know how many files
are going to be built isn't worth it, I don't agree that these type of
features are simply "eye candy".  I can think of numerous occasions where
having this information would be useful.

I think even perhaps if make could print out the top-level targets as they are
built would be useful.

Mike Gibson