Re: How to debug shell cmds?

From: Jens Schweikhardt
Subject: Re: How to debug shell cmds?
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 10:01:35 +0100

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 09:29:21AM +0100, Dusan Juhas wrote:
# On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Jens Schweikhardt wrote:
#
# > Untested, and it does involve Makefile changes, but as we say in Germany,
# > you can't ask for "Wash my fur but don't get me wet" :-)
#
# Sounds crazy. Could you give me the original sentence? ;-)

<OT>
Note to our international readers: The quoted sentence uses ISO8859-1
and if I haven't screwed up, the mail header should declare this. If the
last character before the period looks like a greek beta, then you have
a correct rendering of the szlig glyph.

   "Wasch mir den Pelz, aber mach mich nicht naß." :-)
</OT>

# > - Change all occurences of mkdir to $(MKDIR), which is good Makefile
# >   engineering anyway. Then on the commandline:
# > - If debugging: make MKDIR='echo mkdir breakpoint reached; read dummy;
mkdir'
# >   else          make MKDIR=mkdir
# > - Hit Enter at each breakpoint to continue.
#
# Not bad, but insufficient.
# I have to deal with complicated package that contains a zillion of files
# and hundreds of nested makefiles. I used mkdir but I can also be
# my-$(var1)-$(var2). If it is my-huge-cmd I'd like to stop. If it is
# my-stupid-cmd I don't want to care about it.
# Anyway, with MKDIR it is a good start.

Then I suggest you go the "overload my-huge-cmd in PATH" way. This
allows control over what commands do stop and involves no Makefile
changes.

# By the way how to stop determine that any shell command was invoked?

I'm afraid I don't understand the question. Could you please rephrase
or give an example what you mean?

Regards,

        Jens
--