Re: inconsistency of 'emptiness'?

From: gk
Subject: Re: inconsistency of 'emptiness'?
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 14:17:24 -0800

Hi Paul,
Thanks for your input.

At 04:29 PM 1/28/2003 -0500, Paul D. Smith wrote:
Can you please summarize your ultimate findings into a bug report and
submit it on the Savannah site for me?  That way I'll be able to
remember it.  I'll see if I can determine why make is not handling the
backslash consistently.

Sure. Will do.

I'm leaning towards not fixing the initial issue you reported, where:

  $ make FOO=' '

results in FOO being empty rather than containing a single space,
because to fix that would mean that the behavior of this:

  $ make 'FOO  =  bar'

which currently works "as you'd expect" from a make variable setting and
gives a value of "bar" instead of " bar", would change incompatibly.

That sounds reasonable to me.

But, I do wonder about the backslash issue.

Yeah. That is the only really weird thing.
It seems like a reasonable thing would probably just be for make to split the parameter 'FOO= value or \ $$whatever' on the '=' and assign the makefile variable FOO to everything on the right of '=', IN THE MAKEFILE CONTEXT - exactly as what would happen in a makefile if the exact same string value were assigned: i.e., leading space gets lost and any backslash in value is assigned to FOO, any makefile variables like $$whatever get expanded, as happens now. I think that would be very consistent.

- Greg Keraunen
http://www.xmake.org
http://www.xmlmake.com