Re: Question - makedepend

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Question - makedepend
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 09:26:35 -0500

Hi; your mail was encoded saying it was using character set
ks_c_5601-1987, but that doesn't seem to be so... please try to use the
right email settings when MIME-encoding.

Anyway, your problem is with makedepend, not make, and the makedepend
tool is not actually related to make.  It comes with the X source
distribution, and there may be other places you can get it.

Offhand I'd say that your source code has some kind of include loop in
it, where file A.h includes B.h, but B.h includes A.h (with perhaps some
number of files in between), and you haven't protected the files
properly for this situation.

Thus, makedepend is trying to read an infinite recursion of included
files and runs out of file descriptors.

The alternative is that there's no loop, but you simply have a very,
very deep include tree and you run out of file descriptors.  If this is
the case you will have to either remove some levels of include or change
the value of MAXFILES in the makedepend source code.