wildcard variables for files that get created?

From: Ken.Worland
Subject: wildcard variables for files that get created?
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 16:05:53 -0400

All,

I am trying to write some fairly complicated make scripts.

Here is a problem I am wrestling with.

Suppose I have an unknown file "something.v" which is a concatenation of
several "little.v" files.
In one step of my makefile, I want to use something.v as the prerequesit
and run a perl script which
breaks up something.v into several little.v files. Then I want us
specify the little.v files as prerequisites
to another step.

I can't seem to figure out how to make a variable which contains all the
little.v filenames which I
can use as a prerequisite to the next step. The problem is that all
variables get expanded up front.
At that time the little.v files don't exist so the expanded value used
as a prerequisite is nothing.

How do tell make to expand a particular variable when I get to it and
not up front?

Thanks,

Ken